Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A Lesson Learned

When I first began this whole blog thing, my husband wasn't too sure about it. He did not understand me wanting to read about other people's lives. He also wasn't too sure about putting our private life out there in cyber space. I tried to explain it in terms he would understand. You see my husband is a big believer in having mentors and accountability. I have had a few and loved it. However, for me it is REALLY hard to get a babysitter and actually get out of the house on time. I explained that in reading these blogs I receive encouragement, ideas, and many times a much needed laugh in the middle of a crazy day. Most importantly, I am reminded that I am not alone in this journey. That is one of the great benefits of the blogging world.

A down side is this: If not done at the proper time, crazy things can happen! I know many of you are saying "DUH" right about now, but I guess I am slow! The other day I got up early, had time with Jesus and my oldest daughter and then sat down to check emails and a few of my favorite blogs. I was really only going to be a minute! While I was reading Raising Five, my 3 year old comes in and says, "Mom, Rebekah (2) is on the calendar and spilt the Grape Nuts." I immediately knew that "calendar" was her way of saying "counter" and ran to the kitchen to find this!


Now mind you, this is NOT the first time she has done this. She frequently will try to get on the counter. Today, Rebekah decided she wanted her breakfast. She never asked anyone, she just took charge. First, I did the most important thing and grabbed my camera ( I had to capture the moment). I then sat her down and we had a very serious talk. She was not very happy, as you can see!


But a bowl of Grape Nuts with a little bit of honey can make any one of my kids smile. Rebekah was happy and I learned a great lesson. Blogs are great encouragement and all, but make sure your kids are eating breakfast before you slip off for some blog time. :)

So my question for all of you other moms out there is this:
"When do you find is the best time to blog?" I would love some wisdom!!















7 comments:

Michawn said...

Well, I can't say that this is all "wisdom" that I'm sharing, but it's just what I do. :) Usually I get on the computer after breakfast (yes, the word after is the key word here:) ). I check my email and a few blogs (I really don't read that many blogs very regularly and most of those people don't post that often, so it doesn't take that long). Sometimes the kids just play, sometimes I'll put in a 30-min. Boz or Veggie Tales or something. And Asa is most of the time taking her morning nap. This is what works best for me. Then at night, after the kids are down, I'll sit back down and check things out again. And that's how we do it around this hea house. :) Love you girl. Great story, great pictures. It's so great to have a trusty camera nearby, right?

Katherine@Raising Five said...

Hi Nicole,

Cute, cute, cute pictures!!

To answer your question, for one thing, it gets better with time! You'll get faster. I blog in "little moments." First thing in the morning I usually have a few minutes because the kids sleep in later (until school starts, then I'll wait until after everyone's well underway). Then throughout the day I check email and a blog or two. If I have an idea for something I want to write, I start writing it in Word and save it (sometimes it's just a sentence or two). Then, after kids go to bed (which is WAY too late in the summer!) I work on longer posts. I do most of my blog reading on the weekend, and catch up on a whole week's worth at once - like I'm doing now! A lot of people use Bloglines - you can subscribe to your favorite blogs and they put them in a digest for you. Everyone has to find what works for their family...you'll find your groove!

Beth said...

Wow, I need to come see your house. I didn't know you put in granite counter tops—how great is that?!

When little guy is in bed—worry-free containment. : )

Anonymous said...

With a techie mom like you, i'm surprised you're not blogging in the kitchen with your awesome phone. ;) Great to see you and every one this weekend. :) I don't know how you get anything done with five kids. :) I'm in awe of you. :) LOVE YOU!

js said...

Too cute! First I would buy cereal w/ bigger pieces. Grape Nuts is a nightmare to clean up! I don't think I can do Pink Impact-no childcare for Sarah- but I want to continue our tradition for your b-day. When can we meet? Love you.

Chrystal said...

I get stuck at the computer late at night :0

Like right now.

Love your blog and love your pictures.

So glad you are blogging. I feel like I'm really keeping up with you now!

BethAnne said...

My husband sounds much like yours. He doesnt understand why on earth I would want to read other people's blogs. I think there are so many moms out there who need to be encouraged and reading other peoples blogs helps us see that we are not alone in our struggles in being Christian wives and mothers.