Sunday, August 3, 2008

PINE COVE

For the last 4 years we have gone to family camp at Pine Cove for our vacation. Some friends of ours told us about it and what convinced us to go was how excited their 17 year old son was about going back. So we tried it out in the summer of 2004 when Sarah was a baby wondering if it could compare to Hawaii and Florida. It far surpassed both! Though the scenery and weather was not quite the same :), it was the first vacation where we felt refreshed when we came home and not utterly exhausted! There are several reasons for this. First of all, the focus of the week is on God and His Word. We have awesome teachings interspersed through out our time there. The adults have a speaker and our kids memorize scripture and go through a devotional with their counselor. Second, it is the perfect balance of time together and time on our own. There is adult teachings, a banquet and a time set apart for you and your spouse. However, there is also family time, a family devotional each day, theme nights and a ton of fun activites to do with your kids. Crafts, horse back riding, and water sports are just a few. Finally, you are totally served by their awesome staff! They welcome you with cheering, unload your car, help with your kids, serve you your meals and won't even let you pour your own drink while you are there! We love getting to know the college-aged counselors that are such amazing men and women of God. Each year, God knits our hearts together with a few of them ! It is so fun to see some of the same counselors the following summer and hear all God has done in their lives. Our family loves this place and we have already pre-paid for next summer. We truly feel like it is an investment in our familiy's spiritual life! Pine Cove's motto is: "Pine Cove exists to be used by God to transform the lives of people for His purposes and His glory." Each time we come home, we see the fruit of this in ourselves and our kids! It is an awesome vacation! Here are a few pics from this summer:

15 comments:

js said...

Those are great pictures! Sounds like a wonderful place. We need to check it out. Miss and love you!

Lacy said...

that sounds wonderful! Where is it located?

Nicole said...

It really is wonderful!! Can you tell we love it ;)
It is in Tyler,Tx.

RicklovesMelissa said...

ahh...camp! I grew up for 15yrs going to camp every summer. from going as a little 2nd grader to spending entire summers there as a counselor. Those are some of my greatest memories in life!!! these pics make me miss it!

RicklovesMelissa said...

...oops..that's from me...melissa hinnant

Michawn said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Seriously, you are gorgeous, no matter how many years pass by.

Walking on High Hills said...

Hey Nicole, I've always wanted to try a family camp that is offered out here in NE. It sounds like you guys did what your heart desires - God and family time! That is great!

Isn't it great to see the hand of God in lives, HE CHANGES EVERYTHING!

I'm so glad we got connected again for His purpose!

You know, I can barely remember laughing in the Sophs faces...I was seriously clueless!

Anonymous said...

I love that you guys went to a family canp and were refreshed. I'm a siesta and absolutley delighted to meet you next weekend. I am also coming from Dallas area if you want to carpool i'm driving. Just an FYI...Ok well your family is so darling. Tiffany

Toknowhim said...

I saw your post on the Siesta Fiesta blog. Your family is just adorable. 5 kids in 10 years... You look great!!! I have 3 boys of my own. I hope you have a wonderful time this weekend with your mom (I think you said you were coming with your mom, if not sorry) in San Antonio. Blessings to you and all the Siestas...

Come by for a visit anytime... Kim

Kimberly Jarman said...

great idea for vacation. Awesome!

Melinda said...

Hi Nicole,

These pictures are SO adorable! You have such a beautiful family! I have spent several amazing retreats at Pine Cove and my kids have had incredible camp experiences there. Makes me wistful for my own "secret place with God" in the woods. :o)

I got your sweet comment and accidentally rejected it! :o( If you've got a minute, I'd love to have you repost it so I can include it.

See you soon...CAN'T WAIT!

Love to you this day,
Melinda

marine's words said...

love the pictures looks like you had a great time I need to look in to going out there sometiem.
Are you ready for satx? ") love,marina

Jackie Sue said...

Your photos and post totally captured my interest. I have marked their site as a favorite now and plan to show it to my husband. It sounds just marvelous. To answer your question on my post about the faith it takes to send my children to school....it's a long story. I have 5 children. The first 3 are bio and are 21, 18, and 12. I homeschooled all of them and then did a program like you are sending your older ones to. I was in some form of home education for 12 years. Since I am quite a bit older than you and my family is so spread out, I just don't have the energy or desire to be the educator I once was. My youngest two girls are the most amazing kids. They are adopted from China and are 5 and 2. I found a private school nearby that has a great program where the kids only go from 8am-1pm M,T and Th and then from 10-1 on W/F. It is a Christian school and my 12 yo went there last year so we decided that if we could swing it financially that we wanted to send Davie there also. Still, even when I know what my strengths and weaknesses are it is hard to hand them to some one else. After all, who can teach them better than their momma? Well, I can teach them my beliefs and character and sex and all that stuff....but I am GREAT with someone else teaching them their 3 r's. :) It has been a process Nicole. Its a BTDT sort of thing...a long process. I will be at the siesta fiesta this weekend should the Lord allow. The weather here in FL is a little dicey right now, but I am sure hoping to be there. I am going to the lunch on Friday and the pj party on Sat night...what are you able to attend? I will look so forward to meeting you! love, js

revel designs said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. It was fun getting to know you in ballet. That camp sounds amazing. How great for the kids to be able to look forward to that every year. And by the way, they are so cute! I see a playdate somewhere in our future. See you tonight? Oh, and I just wanted to let you know that there is a correction you need to make on your blog... I am married to the most amazing man on the planet!!

Power Up Love said...

I invite you to visit PowerUpLove.com a community of real people sharing real stories about how Love has really impacted and changed their lives. Share your story, struggles, or testimonies. Blessings…